A little while ago, I made a post on which type of midi skirt suits best with your body type. In that post, I promised I was going to make a part II on how to wear a midi skirt without looking too short. So, if you read that post and you figured out your favorite type of midi skirt, it’s now time to think about how you will combine it in your outfts! In this post, I will share some tips and tricks which will help you look less short in a midi skirt! I hope it will be of any help and I hope you will like it!
1) Wear shoes in the same colour as your tights or nude coloured shoes when going bare legged. By giving your legs and shoes the same colour, there will not be a break between your legs and feet and therefore, your legs will appear longer!
2) Wear (high) heels. This one is quite obvious, as you will always seem taller when wearing high heels, but it certainly also works very well when wearing a midi skirt! This one works even better when you’re also sticking to tip 1!
3) When wearing flats, go for pointy flats and don’t forget tip 1! Of course, you can’t always wear high heels, so when you want or need to wear flats, go for pointy flats in the same colour as your tights. Pointy shoes will make your legs look a bit longer as well! Ballerina’s and loafers are the perfect flat substitute for pumps. They show more of your feet than entirely closed shoes, and this makes your legs look longer!
4) No thick ankle straps. A thick ankle strap will create a very visible break between your legs and your feet, which makes your legs appear shorter. When you need or want to wear ankle straps, go for a thin strap. This will break up your legs much less than a thick strap!
5) No booties or ankle boots. It has the same effect as the thick ankle straps. It breaks up your leg and makes it appear shorter. If you don’t want this, you can better choose a pair of ballerina’s, loafers, pumps or brogues!
|Photo source: left, right (me), below (me)|
6) Tuck your top into your skirt. When you wear a high waisted midi skirt, this will create a high waist and therefore longer appearing legs!7) Wear a tight crop top. When you wear a tight crop top which ends just above your high waisted midi skirt, this creates a high waist and will make your legs appear longer! This works best with a tight crop top. Wide crop tops will usually make you look shorter, because they make the upper part of your body look wider.
8) Wear a top in the same colour as your skirt. When your top and skirt are the same colour, your body will look more as a whole and you will therefore appear longer! This is called ton sur ton!
9) Don’t wear a shirt over the skirt. It seems to becoming a trend to wear a big oversized knit over a midi skirt, and it can look great when you’re tall, but I wouldn’t do it if you don’t want to look short.
10) If you wear an A-line midi skirt, make sure to wear a somewhat tight top with it. The skirt is wide, so when you wear a wide top with that, your entire body will look wider and therefore shorter.
|Photo source: left, right, below|
11) No big belts. When you wear a belt, you accentuate your waist. But if you don’t want to look short, you might want to choose a thin belt over a big belt. A big belt will create a big break between the upper and lower part of your body and therefore, your silhouette will appear shorter. The more your body looks as a whole in your outfit, the taller you will apear to be!12) Wear a cropped jacket. Cropped jackets are jackets that fall just on your waist. By wearing a high waisted midi skirt, you accentuate your waist. A regular jacket will hide your accentuated waist, while wearing a cropped jacket will make sure that your waist is still accentuated and your legs appear longer!
13) Wear a coat that is just as long as your skirt. Of course, you need to happen to have one in your closet. But if you do, it’s the perfect coat to wear with your midi skirt! When you wear a coat which ends right at the hem of your midi skirt, this will make your outfit look more as a whole and therefore you will look taller. Wearing a shorter coat might break the outfit up a bit and might therefore make you look a bit shorter. But as long as you wear a coat in a similar colour as the rest of your outfit, this effect will not be very big!